THE PLAYERS ANNOUNCES “THE PLAYERS NEW PLAY FESTIVAL”
PLAYWRITING COMPETITION AND CALL TO ARTISTS
Sarasota, January 24, 2013 – The Players is proud to announce its acceptance of new plays for its 13th annual Players New Play Festival from now until May 3, 2013. The Off-Broadway Playwright
Dr. Paul Firestone and freelance dramaturge by way of Emerson College in Boston, Tierra Bonser will lead the event. A committee of judges will select five plays to be presented in a “Reader’s Theater” style during the week of August 12-17, 2013 at The Players, 838 North Tamiami Trail, Sarasota. One of the winning plays will be selected as “Best of Series” and will be produced at The Players Theatre in the summer of 2014.
- Entrant must be a resident of the Gulf Coast area (defined for this contest as extending from Tampa/Clearwater to Fort Myers) and over the age of 18.
- Full-length plays are preferred but one-acts will be considered.
- Maximum number of performers needed to produce the play is 8. Playwrights are asked to delineate if there are multiple roles that can be doubled.
- Manuscripts must be typed in 12 point font and bound, with playwrights’ biographies included. Scripts will not be returned.
- No evaluations will be rendered with any rejected entries.
- Author (and collaborator, if any) may submit only one script, with each additional submitted script $10.00. (The enclosed check should be made payable to: The Players.)
- Play must not have had a prior production, although those work-shopped before non-paying audiences are acceptable.
- Published plays are not eligible.
- For the first time, entries that have been previously submitted to The Players are eligible, but only if the work has been substantially re-written.
- Musicals are not accepted.
- Submit one hard copy to: “The Players New Play Festival”, The Players, 838 N. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota, FL 34236. A SECOND electronically transmitted copy needs to be emailed to Artisticdirector@theplayers.org. The Players Theatre is not responsible for lost or misplaced plays.
- Postmark deadline is May 3, 2013. No submissions will be accepted past that date.
At least five entries will be presented in rehearsed readings at The Players from August 12-15 & 17, 2013. The 5 finalists will be announced via The Players website on May 31, 2013.
- Playwright must be available to help arrange rehearsals and to attend reading.
- Winning entries will have a director assigned and will attend at least two rehearsals.
- Playwrights are responsible for supplying updated and corrected copies of their script to their director and cast.
- Plays not following proper guidelines or meeting the requirements will be disqualified.
Reading Festival Tickets: $9 per reading/ $24 for 3 readings/ $35 for all 5 readings
7:30 pm on August 12-15 & 17, 2013
Box Office: 941-365-2494, theplayers.org, 838 N. Tamiami Tr., Sarasota FL, 34236
Box Office Hours: 10 am – 4 pm Mon-Sat